In addition to the weekly competition, South Melbourne District Little Athletics Centre (SMDLAC) offers skill development coaching and training for registered athletes aged U9 and above throughout the summer competition season.
Training is held at Lakeside on Wednesday evenings (weather permitting). During the 2016/17 Season 3 Wednesday nights training sessions will be converted into Twilight Competitions.:
- Throws Coaching – Discus, Shot Put and Javelin (under 12+ age group only)Wednesday 5:45 – 6:30pm: Sprints and Middle Distance Coaching.Wednesday 6:30 – 7:15pm: Long Jump and High Jump Coaching.Hurdle Coaching
Athletes are welcome to participate attend one or more of the specific coaching sessions. Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your selected session to warm up.
All session are under the guidance of track and field coaches, many of who competed at the State and/or National level. However parents must remain at the track for supervision.
For any further coaching enquiries or advise please email Srini Mandava our Coaching Coordinator @ email@example.com.
All athletes have the opportunity to represent the club at a Regional and State level
What are the prerequisites for competing in LAVIC championships?
- Only for U/9 to U/15 age groups
- Need to have competed in at least 4 Sunday competitions
What Championship events are offered?
- Relays- Regionals and State- The teams are chosen by the club. As relays are early in the season make sure kids compete as much as possible in Oct/Nov to get times to be considered
- Multi Event- All athletes can enter the state championships
- Track & Field- Regional/State- All athletes can register for regionals championships. These act as qualifying for the State championships
- There are also X-country road relay championships and Regional and State X-country championships